top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

Rules for visiting UK from France with validated VLS-TS visitor visa

A VLS TS visitor visa gives its holder the same rights as a Schengen visa

As the UK is no longer part of the EU, it is no longer a part of the Schengen area and has different requirements for entry Pic: Ascannio / Shutterstock

Reader question: I plan to make a short visit to the UK from France. I am a US citizen living in France with a validated VLS-TS visitor visa. Are there any restrictions I need to be aware of? Do I just show French customs my visa upon arrival back in France?

If an American plans to stay in France for between three months and a year, then they will typically apply for a VLS-TS, a visa long séjour valant titre de séjour, a long stay visa serving as a residence permit, as you have done.

Those wanting to stay longer than a year can then apply to extend it with a residency card unless it is ‘temporary’, for a limited period only.

While this VLS-TS allows you to stay in France as long as the visa is valid for, with regard to travel elsewhere in the EU it is equivalent to a short-term Schengen visa, thus allowing the holder to move around and stay in the Schengen area outside of France for a maximum of 90 in a rolling period of 180 days with the VLS TS and your passport. 

With the UK no longer being a part of the Schengen area, the 90/180-days rule no longer applies to it, so you need authorisation to enter UK territory. 

However, as an American, you are considered a ‘visa waiver’ national and can visit the UK as a tourist for up to six months without needing a visa. 

Note that this mostly only applies to visiting for personal and leisure reasons, as well as for example a short period of volunteering, short study courses or certain business-related activities such as attending an interview or conference. 

As long as you will only be doing permitted activities of this kind you will not need a visa. 

Read also: What Americans notice when they move to France

If you want to work in the UK, then you will need a visa even for a short visit. 

When you return to France, you will not need to ask for another visa, your VLS-TS will still be valid. 

If it is within the first three months of you arriving in France, then a VLS-TS remains valid unconditionally. However, if more than three months have elapsed, then the holder has to validate the visa, as you have done. 

Read also: What is the EU’s Etias visa waiver scheme?

A person needs to validate their VLS-TS online

Validating a visa now takes place entirely online. Go to this page to do so. 

The holder needs to enter their visa information, any additional information such as telephone number and family circumstances, the date of their arrival in France and their address in France. 

They then need to pay a tax that varies depending on which country they are from. 

If they do not have a bank card that is accepted for online payments in France (such as Visa and Mastercard) they can go to a tabac with a Point de vente agréé, an approved point of sale sign to buy a timbre fiscal électronique, which can be used to complete the payment online. 

A person needs to validate their VLS-TS online to lawfully remain in France even if they do not plan to leave. If they leave after three months without validating their long stay visa, they will need to apply for another one to return to France. 

On arrival back in France from a visit to the UK you will need to show your validated visa and your passport. 

You can travel back and forth as much as you like during your long-stay visa period, with a few provisos.

As mentioned, the UK allows Americans to visit for up to six months at a time, however, in this case it wants reassurance that you are not trying to move to the country and make it your main home, so you should avoid spending too much time in the country in any one calendar year.

You can start the application process for a long stay visa on this page

Read also 

French senate backs ‘automatic visa’ right for UK second-home owners

90-day rule blocks Monty Python Eric Idle attending Paris premiere

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Income Tax in France 2023 (for 2022 income)*
Featured Help Guide
- Primarily aimed at Britons, covers pensions, rent, ISAs, shares, savings and interest - but also contains significant general information pertinent to readers of other nationalities - Overview of online declarations + step-by-step guide to the French printed forms - Includes updates given automatically after this year's site opened
Get news, views and information from France